San Diego County Schools Education financial aid usually comes in the form of scholarships, grants, and loans; and for veterans and their families, the GI Bill may be another method of assistance.

The following resources are for Financial Aid including scholarships, grants, and loans.

Resources designated with an asterisk (*) next to the name are also listed in the Resource Database.

What is the difference between a scholarship, grant, and loan?

Scholarship: Aid that doesn’t have to be paid back (free money). Usually awarded for academic merit (good grades) or something you have accomplished (volunteer work or a specific project); however, there are many need-based scholarships out there, as well.

Grant: Money that doesn’t have to be repaid (free money). Usually awarded based on needs. Grants can come from the state or federal government, from the college itself, or from private sources like scholarships.

Loans: Monetary aid that has to be repaid.


Federal Student Aid – An Office of the U.S. Department of Education
The largest provider of student financial aid in the nation.

Free Application for Federal Student Aid. One of the first steps in the financial aid process and is highly recommended to complete; takes approximately one hour.

Provides a guide to financial aid, including scholarships, loans, savings plans, and more.

Provides information on GI Bill, helps locate schools, scholarship finder tool, and links to articles and blogs for military personnel, spouse and family.

For more information on the GI Bill, please visit the GI Bill page.

American Legion
Offers a number of scholarships and other resources to assist young people in their pursuit of higher education. There are opportunities for everyone, including kin of wartime veterans and participants in Legion programs.

Provides scholarships for veterans, member of active duty military, or spouse or child of veteran or active military.

Imagine America Foundation
Offers scholarships for veterans and other military students who decide to pursue career college training.
Provides scholarship information for children of military members.

National Military Family Association
Scholarships for military spouses.

Paralyzed Veterans of America
Scholarships for paralyzed Veterans member, the spouse of a Paralyzed Veterans member, or an unmarried child (under 24 years of age) who is dependent (as defined by the IRS) on the member for principal support.

Pat Tillman Foundation
Scholarships for veteran and active-duty military service members, and current spouses of veterans or active-duty service members.

Scholarship America
Provides a listing of “open scholarships” which are available to the public. There are scholarships listed on this site that are limited to dependent children of active duty, retired and deceased members; and spouses of active duty and deceased members.

Scholarships for children and spouses of US military personnel.

Veterans of Foreign Wars
Scholarships for service members and veterans.